We are in need of a program coordinator. Until then, the program is suspended.
Interested in helping or need help with strays? Please email email@example.com.
The Friends Helping Felines (FHF) Program was created to help give people the means to spay and neuter homeless cats and kittens and place them in forever homes at those times when the Animal Welfare League’s foster program is filled to capacity. FHF participants will have access to reduced rates for routine veterinary care, including spay or neuter and rabies vaccination.
Once the cat is fully vetted (tested for feline leukemia/FIV, spayed or neutered, vaccinated, dewormed, nails trimmed, and ears clean), participants may bring the cat to our Saturday office hours. Participants must stay with their cat during the adoption event.
How FHF Works:
- Call us at 301-663-5855 and ask to speak with our cat Friends Helping Felines Coordinator. Or just leave a message and we will call you back.
- Review program guidelines.
- During the conversation with the Friends Helping Felines Coordinator, you should be prepared with the following information:
- Gender, approximate age, breed/markings, temperament of cat(s)
- Location where cat was found and if you filed a lost report with Frederick County Animal Control
- General appearance and health of cat
- Depending on the age of the cat, we may ask you to bring it to the AWLFC office for evaluation and deworming, distemper vaccination, and ear mite/flea treatment.
- Once you have pre-paid AWLFC (cash or check), we will authorize you to take the cat to one of our participating veterinarians for appropriate treatments (testing for feline leukemia/FIV, rabies vaccination, alteration, etc.).
- Once the cat is fully vetted, it must be kept inside.
- You will be able to bring the cat to our adoption center during office hours on the weekends.
- You should also supply us with a few digital photos and a brief bio on the cat which we will post to petfinder.com. People interested in adopting your cat will contact you directly via phone or email.
- If you choose to adopt your cat via AWLFC, you will be asked to use our adoption application and contract. We will help you with this process, including conducting an adoption interview. We will collect the standard adoption fee of $150/cat. Within 30 days, AWLFC will reimburse you for the pre-paid fees.
- If you choose to adopt the cat yourself or give it to a friend or colleague, without using the AWLFC process, that is your discretion.
- We ask that you advise us when the cat is adopted so that we may remove it from petfinder.com.